Wednesday, September 16, 2009

#1561

On Sunday morning, I woke Reese up at 3:45am and put her in the car and drove her to Sandy Hook. At 5:15am she peeked into the back of the jeep to see what I was up to.
Well, I was unloading the bike for my first ever TRIATHLON of course!!!!!!! Woo hoo!!!!!!!!
Half mile open water swim in the bay, 11 mile bike (which I think was more like 9.5 miles) and 3.1 mile run. I've been training since April for this and felt fairly confident, but was still nervous.
I was in wave #18, start time of 7:49am, yellow caps. I'm towards the back in the white top and black bottoms.


Go!!


Coming in from the swim and feeling GREAT!

Blowing kisses to my favorite little girl as I run by...she seemed confused as to why I didn't stop to chat, but I had a 200 yard run to the transition area...barefoot...over gravel. Good grief, we might as well run over hot coals!


Reese got a little sunscreen from J during transition.

Coming back in from the bike. The ride out was great and I really felt like I found my pace. The ride back had a STRONG headwind and was unexpectedly the hardest part of the whole race.

One more event to go...the 5k run! I'm still feeling great at this point and ready to run!
Crossing the finish line! Can you believe I did it?!?!?!

I got my medal to prove it!!

Getting some post congratulatory cuddles from my favorite girl. She inspires me to challenge myself and I hope that someday I can do the same for her.
So my total times were better than I expected, but have made me realize that I can do better...maybe next year! My swim was 20:40, my bike was 44:35 and my run was 33:49. My first transition (including that LONG run over gravel) was 10:47 and my second was 3:19. My total race time was 1:53:12. I was under 2 hours which I am SUPER proud of. Yay me!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joel says congratulations, you beat Lauren who did 1:57. He says the run up the hill wasn't timed but Lauren did 11 minutes. And he was looking for Reese.
Mom

Grandpa said...

Congrats! Great Job!

Carla said...

YOU ROCK! You should be so proud of yourself!